Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I've Got Lots of Peanut Butter!

I needed to make some squares for a due and I was thinking I really need to use up the peanut butter I got on sale at Costco. So, I went hunting for a yummy square recipe that would use LOTS of peanut butter. This is a recipe my mom used to make at Christmas. She would bake up a storm and freeze it for when we had company. Us kids would raid the freezer whenever possible and so I know these freeze well and taste good frozen!!



 Peanut Butter Bars

1cup crunchy peanut butter(nice!)
2/3 cup butter/marg, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Icing
(be sure to read the directions before making this)

3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tsp water

1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp marg



Combine peanut butter, butter and vanilla in a large bowl; beat until well blended, beat in sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour and salt just until well blended; spread butter in a greased 13X9X2 pan. Bake in moderate oven(this means 350..I always laugh when I read old recipes that assume I know what a moderate oven is! :)  Bake for 20 minutes and then check!! The original recipe wanted 35 minutes and I found this was WAY to long. The center will spring back, the cake will be browned, or a toothpick will come out clean.

Icing....I screwed up on this part as I am not a great direction reader!!! The icing sugar needs to be combined with the water in a small bowl and stirred until smooth: drizzle from a spoon over still warm squares.
Melt the marg and chocolate chips in microwave. Stir until smooth and drizzle over with a spoon. Try to make a nice design...mine was kinda blotchy.
Go ahead and cut up and freeze if you can. What I did was I made a double batch, one to take to the due, one for the family to dive into! Good thing as I screwed up the icing on the first one! It looked bad, but tasted great! Enjoy!
Next time I search everywhere for this recipe, I can find it....along with the "Sue don't do this instructions! "A major advantage to blogging favorite recipes, don't you think???!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: