Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

Our family LOVES bell peppers! Safeway's $1/lb deal for all colours was so happy for me. How about you? I was thinking about using these peppers, and something I have always wanted to try is stuffed, baked peppers. So, I listened to what other people usually put in them and then looked in my fridge for what I could put in them and this is what I came up with. First, I cleaned out the inside of 4 peppers. Then I cooked up a cup of brown rice(this is the one from Costco, it's so nutty!) Leftover rice would work of course and whatever colour you have!


I had leftover sauce from a meal this week that consisted of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and chicken broth. I poured that over the rice. It was probably 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of sauce. You could just mix some soup and broth together and some good spices. Speaking of spices, I must digress and say that last Saturday while we were garage saling we came upon a sale that had loads of Epicure spices...the big jars were $2 each or 3/$5!!!!

I had a leftover cob of corn from supper so I cut it off the cob and added it. I also added green onions.

I also had some leftover ham in the fridge so I cubed that and added it. Lots of people use ground beef or chicken. I thought spicy sausage might be yummy.

I had exactly enough to fill 4 large peppers! :)
I am sure you can be less sloppy with your filling!
Now just bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes!
You can make them ahead of time and pop them in the fridge to save prep time, say if you are having company.
It really has everything to be a meal on it's own, but I am married to a meat eater(I know there's ham in there, it won't count as the pieces are too small). So, I think I will serve it with chicken caesar salad....
Enjoy!

2 comments:

pancakeg said...

I use this recipe from America's Test Kitchen. It's so good and I've made it several times with various types of rices, cheeses and pepper colours.
http://catherinesculinaryquest.blogspot.ca/2011/04/pork-and-sausage-stuffed-peppers-with.html

Sue said...

Thank you! I will check it out! :)