Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 23, 2011

I've Got Lots of Rhubarb



Rhubarb Compote


This lovely compote is easy to make(thanks mom for the recipe!)and soooo good for you! I cut up 8 stalks of rhubarb. I whirled it up in the food processor(not an exact science!!!try it you will know what I mean!) and then put it in a glass bowl in the microwave.This is a much easier, burn free method! All I did was cook it on high 2 minutes, stir it and then did it again. In the end it cooked up to this lovely sauce. Because I had food processed it, some of the liquid was released, so I didn't need to add any. If you want to cut it up by hand you can just add a tiny bit of water before you microwave it. Afterwards I added about a 1/4 cup of honey. It has a really nice taste plain, but you may want to add a sweetener. We had this large bowl at lunch and there is less than a small serving left! Tasty, easy, good for you, and free!

Rhubarb Bake Filling

Rhubarb Bake

Here's another great user upper of rhubarb! You may remember me modifying it for plums awhile back.This recipe calls for 4 cups!
First you make the rhubarb filling.
4cups rhubarb(fresh or frozen)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp orange rind
In a medium saucepan, stir together the above. Cook over medium heat 5 mins for fresh and 15 minutes for frozen. STIR CONSTANTLY. Let cool.
Next make the base and topping by combining the following:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Then use 2 knives or pastry cutter to cut in 1/2cup of soft butter. When done reserve 1 cup of this mixture. Take the rest and spread evenly in a square pan. Pour the rhubarb filling over and sprinkle with the reserved mixture.  Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. It freezes really nice and can be kept frozen for months! A great treat for lunches or picnics! Enjoy!

What do you like to do with lots of rhubarb?





1 comment:

Heather said...

One thing I like to do when I have a lot of rhubarb is to make a rhubarb syrup. Then I freeze it in icecube trays, pop out the cubes and store them in the freezer. When we want some rhubarb "pop" we thaw some cubes in a glass and add club soda (or tonic water or whatever you like best).