Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cheese Balls

blog 003
Did you get the Checkout 51 cream cheese? Whether your answer is yes or no, you  get another chance this week! The $4 off when you buy 3 blocks is still on for Dec 20-26. As you can see from my last post I picked mine up at Costco. It works out to $1.63 per 250g brick.Which is wonderful if you have a hankering(yes, I said hankering...fun word!) for cheese ball. We love cheese balls at Christmas time! To buy one in the store(200g size) you usually pay at least $7. To make this homemade version(250+g each) it costs about $4.26 for 2, or $2.13 each! It is so simple, the hardest part is waiting the 2 1/2 hours for it to get more solid!
blog 005
The original recipe is from my from Linda(thanks Linda!). Of course I modified it so I will provide you with both!
Linda's Cheese Ball
1 lb cream cheese(I used 500g)
8oz sharp cheddar cheese(I used about a 1/2-3/4cup of old)
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard(didn't have this so left it out)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
pinch of pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans(I used sliced almonds) 
blog 009
Finely grate the cheese. Add to 2 bricks of room temperature cream cheese in large bowl. Use electric mixer to beat together.
blog 011
Add mustard, sauce and pepper, beat together. If you like you can add in the  finely ground nuts too, or you can roll the cheese ball in them. Or both!
blog 012
I plopped the mixture onto wax paper as I did not want that much cream cheese under my nails!  I shaped it with the wax paper all around it. then I sprinkled the almonds on and shaped it again.
blog 014
 Wrap it in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator 2 1/2 hours or overnight. So, in 2 1/2 hours I will be sitting down to have some cheese ball and crackers! How about you?
I think I will be getting more cream cheese this week, as we love the layered dip this time of year! I will post the recipe soon. 

No comments: