Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake ATK


Strawberries are on sale right now.....and whipping cream was in the clearance section at Safeway! Time to make some strawberry shortcake!


I found this recipe in my America's Test Kitchen's Baking cookbook.


It calls for 8 cups of strawberries, that's the same as one 2lb package.

Take 3 cups out of the 8 cups you sliced up.

Mash them up with a potato masher(it's not as easy as you'd think!).


Fold the mashed strawberries into the sliced and add 6 Tbsp of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Next I whipped my cream up. As you can see my bowl and beater are all frosty from being in the freezer to chill. I whipped up all this cream and froze several containers full.

In the food processor pulse about 3 times
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

The recipe calls you to chill 1/2 cup of unsalted butter cut into 1 inch pieces.
My butter was in the freezer, so I just sawed off 1/2 cup(salted, it's all I had) and cut it into pieces! It worked well, I just had to pulse more than 15 times.
Pulse 15 times until the mixture resembles cornmeal.


Whisk one room temperature egg and 2/3 cup half and half.
Then stir into flour mixture with a rubber spatula until large clumps form.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until dough comes together, about 30 secs.


The recipe says to pat into a 9X6 inch rectangle about 1 inch thick. I used my rolling pin, gently.

Cut into circles and place on parchment paper. Brush with egg white from one egg and 2 Tbsp sugar.

Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes turning the sheet half way through cooking time.

Let cool on sheet for 15 minutes. Cut in half.

Top with berries and whip cream.

Try to eat just one.......

No comments: